Pages

Monday

Work in Progress

It’s always when you are doing something banal that you have your revelations, I think.  Well, not revelations, perhaps just the realisation of something you should’ve known all along.  Whatever those moments are called, I have them most frequently when I am knitting.  Although knitting isn’t really banal.  I’m just short on words that describe the way it makes me feel.  I enjoy it, it does not bore me, but it is repetitive, and doesn’t require a huge amount of thought.  I like it because your brain is working at some low level, which leaves you to think about other things.  The point that I am trying to convey is that when I was knitting just the other day, something clicked in me, and it was a very exciting thing to realise, but thinking about it now, it’s actually common sense.

Nonetheless, I will tell you about it.  I would like to be a really good cook.  I'd like to sit down one day and just think ‘what would I like to eat?’ and then produce something delicious.  I would like to feel confident enough to go food shopping without a shopping list, seeing what looks good, and then making it really, really good in the kitchen.  I was frustrated that I couldn’t do it.  When I’m planning what to eat, I always end up referring to some cookbook, or some recipe.  Of course I adapt and change them to suit what I want to eat, but I that’s not the same feeling as just sitting down and creating something.  Whilst I was knitting, though, I realised that I’m just not a really good cook yet, just as I am not a really good knitter yet, but the point is that I am always learning.  I like learning, and learning about food is one of my favourite hobbies.  All the recipes I’m cooking now, I am learning what I like to eat with what, what I think works together, and what kind of foods make me feel certain ways.  So, overall, what I learnt is that cooking is a project for me, and what makes me excited is that I’m always going to have to eat, and I am always going to be cooking, so there’s nothing I can do but carry on learning, and improving, until one day, I’m a really good cook.

deciding what's for supper

And you know what, I'm really excited about having this little blog on which to record these improvements, and look back on them.

Well, you probably all knew that already.  So here’s a recipe for a soup that can be remade many a time, with so many different ingredients I don’t know whether to really call it a recipe.  It’s more a blueprint for whatever you fancy, whenever you fancy it.  But the recipe as displayed below is the one I make when I am tired, ill or unhappy, and it will cure any ills.  We ate it on our laps, after an incredibly hectic week, and watched Bad Lieutenant, and the next day I honestly can’t remember the last time I woke up feeling so refreshed.  Magic soup.



Soup with whatever you fancy
for two
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2-3 shallots, finely chopped
2-3 stalks lemongrass, sliced
1 small chilli, deseeded and sliced
some noodles
enough vegetable or chicken stock to fill two soup bowls
nam pla
big pinch of sugar
star anise
a really big handful of mint
a smaller handful of basil
100g chestnut mushrooms
juice of one lime

Cook the garlic and onions in a medium hot pan, add the lemon grass, chili and mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes.
Then add the stock, star anise, sugar and a splash of nam pla, a bit of salt and some pepper.
Cook the noodles, put them in a soup bowl with the torn basil and finely shredded mint.
Ladle the soup over the noodles, finish with the lime juice, and eat.