Pages

Saturday

My new favourite cake

Oh there has been a lot of work going on in my household.  As Christmas fast approaches, the first term slips away and essay deadlines creep up.  I’ve got a good ten thousand words to write before the year is through, and, considering that the festive period is my favourite thing ever, I am trying to get as much done as early as I can.  Although, in theory, this is a sensible plan, I can’t help but feel like I’m missing out on my favourite part of the year, and as much as I try to think that this is the last year I will have academic work to do over Christmas, it is hard.  When the monotony of my schedule gets too much, however, I have developed a foolproof plan to rejuvenate myself.  I go on a wintery walk, stop off at a few shops and delis, get home, and bake a cake. This cake is one I am very proud of.  Firstly, it fills the whole house with a gingery delicious aroma is better than a tree for conjuring up some festive cheer.  Secondly, it tastes even better than it smells.  It is light and moist, slightly crumbly and just a little bit sticky, with crunchy caramelized almonds and a sweet sticky glaze.  A good cake.  A really good cake.



Ginger Cake with Caramelised Almonds

60g butter
125g golden syrup
60g ground almonds
75g self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar
a pinch of salt
125ml milk
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 170°c and grease and line a loaf tin.

Melt the butter and golden syrup over a low heat.  When it’s melted remove from the heat.

In a big bowl, mix the almonds, flour, soda and spices until they’re all well combined.  Stir the sugar through, add the milk and the egg, and mix well.

Gradually add the melted butter mixture stirring until everything has mingled.

Pour into the tin and bake for 50-55 minutes.

Make a ginger syrup by melting 125g of sugar with 125ml of water with 1 tbsp of grated ginger.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  Spoon some syrup over the cake whilst they’re both still hot.

When it’s cool, make a little glaze with icing sugar and water, and pour over.  Toast about two handfuls of flaked almonds in a saucepan; watching them, they burn so easily.  Then add about a tablespoon of caster sugar and cook until it has melted and coated the almonds.  When they are all looking sticky and caramelised, spoon them over the cake.